Q: What should I keep in mind when choosing a healthy diet for my parrot?
A: There are a couple of dos and don’ts when it comes to feeding your parrot a healthy diet. Different breeds of parrot have different dietary needs, and therefore it is important to research or ask a veterinarian.
The following is a list of what you NEVER should feed your parrot:
- Salty foods
- Seeds only
Always feed your parrot twice a day to ensure the food is always fresh. Also, include the following:
- Seeds and nuts should make up 15% of the total diet
- Fresh fruit
- Raw and cooked vegetables
- Fruit and vegetables make up 10 to 15% of the daily intake
- Cooked parrot dinner made up of corn, beans, lentils and rice
- Scientifically formulated, good-quality pelleted diets that are nutritionally complete
- Vitamin and mineral supplement