Allergies are one of those frustrating health conditions that can last for what seems like forever. One of the challenges is that it can be hard to determine the cause of the allergy, and some allergens can be difficult to treat, especially if they are in the environment, like dust or pollen. To make matters more complicated, not all dogs react in the same way to a specific allergen.
Look out for these typical symptoms. Your dog might show a combination of some of the symptoms, all the symptoms, or maybe only one of the following:
- Scratching of any part of his body.
- Itchy, red, scabbed skin, especially in the areas where he scratches.
- Itchy, streaming eyes.
- Itchy ears and ear infections.
- Frequent or repeated sneezing.
- Snoring caused by inflamed airways.
- Paw chewing or swelling of the paws.
- Constant licking of any part of his body.
- Itchy back or base of tail (this is most commonly due to a flea allergy).
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea.