Ever wondered if your feline friend is really enjoying her life with you? Here’s how to find out
A relaxed cat is usually a happy cat. Just like us humans, stress, competition and pressure may cause depression, which often results in destructive behaviour. And like us, cats may also suffer from depression as a result of boredom or too little exercise and mental stimulation. However, if your cat displays the following behaviours, she definitely enjoys her life with you.
1. She does not show aggressive behaviour towards you or other members of your family (unless, ofcourse, she’s clearly being threatened, hurt or punished)
2. She sticks to her daily routine, movement and regular mealtimes
3. She purrs regularly
4. She seems relaxed and frequently lies out in the open. But remember that some cats are not as sociable as others and prefer to stay in ‘safe places’ like under tables or beds. Also, cats who have not been properly socialised at an early age, feral cats, previously abused and wild cats will often stay shy for the rest of their lives, so they are not necessarily unhappy if they hide for most of the day.
5. She comes to you when you call her or offer food
6. She does not show destructive behaviour such as scratching of furniture or curtains
7. She comes to you when you call her or offer food
8. She is eager to get involved in play activity or positive interaction with you or fellow housemates
9. She does not show destructive behaviour such as scratching of furniture or curtains
10. She does not regularly get involved in cat fights. Do remember that entire (unspayed or unneutered) cats tend to fight more