You most probably spend a lot of money on your pet’s food, and the last thing you want is for the food to go off before your pet had a chance to finish it. The way you store your pet’s food is very important if you want to keep it fresh, and we bring you a few tips.
- Use a container or plastic bin that will seal in the freshness of the food. This will also prevent nasties from entering the container.
- You can decant the food into a container, but you have to ensure that the container is completely clean and dry before you add the food.
- Most pet food manufacturers spend lots of money to develop packaging that will keep the food fresh. So, you can keep the food in the original packaging, and then place this in the sealable container.
- If you don’t use a sealable container, ensure that the dog food bag is not placed directly on the floor. Rather place the food in a cupboard or on an elevated shelf.
- Close the bag tightly with a clip so that nasties can’t enter the bag.
- Don’t store pet food close to appliances like washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers, fridges or freezers. This could lead to moisture in the food and can cause mould.